- While then group was resting, five Humans headed towards the party from Phandalin’s direction. They warned the group about recent Goblin attacks and shared an important piece of knowledge: Goblins are cannibals which feast on the brains of their slain kin; if they were to eat enough Goblin brains, they could become something more powerful, such as a Bugbear. The Human visitors advised the group to bury the Goblin corpses before Shamash asked them to leave, as the Dragonborn mistrusted them.
- Instead of burying the Goblin bodies, Merni suggested using rope from their Explorer Packs to bundle the bodies up, and using the oxen to drag the Goblin corpses towards Cragmaw Cave to use as bait. If they could lure out any living Goblins this way, the party could potentially set up an ambush. The party decided this was a good idea.
- After only a moment of travel this way, the wagon got stuck in some harsh terrain and the group realized they could not press on. Merni used his Gnomish skills to convince nearby squirrels to guard the wagon until they returned. Thorin then used his Animal Handling skills to get the oxen to drag the Goblin bodies along as the party traveled towards the cave.
- After safe stepping several traps along the road, including a pitfall that slightly harmed one of the oxen, the group found Cragmaw Cave. Upon reaching their destination, Merni asked Shamash and Thorin to dump the Goblin corpses near the mouth of the cave. As the Dragonborn and Dwarf approached the cave entrance, they spotted two Goblins across the way, and Shamash snuck over into position to strike. Thorin managed to get Althaea’s attention before the group attacked and killed the two Goblins, and added their bodies to the pile in front of the cave.
- Merni attempted to impersonate a Goblin and called into the cave, however was unsuccessful at disguising his voice well enough, and incited an attack. Four Goblins and a Wolf headed down the cave, and the party proceeded to use ranged attacks, while Thorin dealt melee damage. Thorin was knocked unconscious but the party rested overnight allowing all the wounded party members to regain their health.
- Deciding to keep to a more stealthy approach in their rescue mission, Althaea and Merni realized they both had Disguise Kits and were proficient in them, so they disguised themselves as Goblins and tried to scout out the cave while Thorin and Shamash buried the Goblin corpses. They found a pair of Wolves tied to a post, as well as a lookout Goblin, which spotted the disguised Gnome and Elf and demanded to know what was happening outside. Althaea failed to trick the Goblin into revealing information, causing the lookout Goblin to believe they were intruding creatures. The Goblin lookout pulled a lever which opened a floodgate which ejected Althaea and Merni from the cave, though it did not harm them.
- Shamash then decided to take matters into his own hands and crept into the cave alone. He discovered a part of the cave where two Goblins occupied, as well as the bound and unconscious Taman Hallwinter. Shamash failed to go unnoticed, and one Goblin named Yeemik fetched up Taman to use him as leverage. Shamash blasted one of the Goblins with his breath attack, though it did not kill. Yeemik and Shamash continued to hurl threats at each other from across the room.
- Althaea (still disguised as a Goblin) became troubled and went into the cave to check on Shamash, while Merni (still disguised as a Goblin) decided to explore the area with Thorin. The Elf Fighter bumped into the Dragonborn Rogue, revealing her position. Her approach was more diplomatic, as she and the lead Goblin discussed terms for Taman’s release: kill a “boss” named Klarg and they would let Taman go. Althaea believed his words to be true, and that a Bugbear may be the leader of the Goblins.
- Meanwhile, Merni and Thorin bumped into another Goblin scout, who demanded what they were up to. Merni pretended that he was taking the Dwarf prisoner and got into an optimal position for an ambush. Together, the pair killed the Goblin without being noticed.
- After a brief battle between the Dragonborn and a Goblin, Althaea was promised a Goblin guide to take her to Klarg. None of the Goblins would talk about Sildar Hallwinter. The Elf left with the guide while Shamash stayed with the Yeemik, who was still holding Taman prisoner, continuing to antagonize him. Eventually he went to follow Althaea, where a battle already took place where they killed the Goblin guide.Yeemik quickly investigated the area, and Merni immediately cast a Sleep spell and tied him up with rope while Althaea escorted Taman out of the cave to rest.
- Merni, Shamash, and Thorin were led by Yeemik on a leash to the boss’ part of the cave. Merni made the Goblin enter the room first and was slain instantly. Shamash then attempted to sneak into the room but was instantly spotted, Klarg the Bugbear let a Wolf loose to attack the would-be Rogue.
- A skirmish broke out between the party and the Bugbear, Wolf, and another Goblin. Eventually Althaea and Taman re-entered the cave and aided in the fight, though Taman was too tired to battle. Klarg and his accomplices were slain, but Shamash was knocked unconscious and stabilized on his own. There was no sign of Sildar anywhere. Thorin and Althaea found packs of crates that were stolen from a specific trading company: the Blue Lion Trading company, as well as a treasure chest.
Swords of the Coast
Session #2 (11/15/14)
Exploring Cragmaw Cave